Sunday, October 4, 2009

Raised Veggie Bed

I skimmed Lasagna Gardening years ago, before having a yard. So I had the concept and a feeling that determining and finding the ingredients would be tough. But I always wanted to grow my own veggies and fruit trees. The frugal bug was also always there, but organic didn't occur to me until later in life (ugh, that makes me sound old, I'm pretty sure I'm not). I recently borrowed my LLL leader's copy of Lasagna Gardening to brush up on the details, but I never got around to reading it. I finally returned it after 3 months. Happily, there's an abundance of information on the web. Googling "raised garden beds", "no dig gardens" and "lasagna gardening" got me all the information I need.

We're finally getting ready to build a raised veggie bed.
Following Sunset magazine's directions. With a few adaptions from this blog.

We're aiming for organic, so cedar wood (ouch!) and probably lasagna style greens and browns for the soil.

So far, we're getting free cardboard and grass clippings from a friendly freecycler. The rest will come from Lowes, Home Depot or OSH. Now for the price comparisons to begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment