Friday, July 23, 2010

Farmer's Market Finds

purslane, zuchinni, green-red cherry tomatos from the farmer's market
What they say about Farmer's Markets is all true. Great fresh options with a good chance of being organic. And more variety than in your average grocery store. I saw at least 4 kinds of cherry tomatos yesterday. And purslane! I haven't found purslane in the yard this year, so I was excited to see a big bunch for a dollar.
The local farmers are bringing a lot of Asian veggies I don't yet know. I love buying something new, and with a few tips from the farmer, experimenting in the kitchen. Last year I discovered rutabaga - love them! And sometimes you get a surprise... The honeydew I bought appears to be an orange fleshed honeydew. I love honeydew, but not a big fan of cantalope, but I think I like this hybrid.
Then there's the olive guy... during part of the year he has olives cured with just salt. Right now his selections have vinegar, but we try not to hold it against him. The little one loves olives, so we buy a lot. The lemon peel stuffed olives were interesting. This time I bought Greek dried Kalamata olives. Very salty, but yum! I'm not too sure what to do with them yet, but they were nice chopped up and steeped in olive oil for an easy salad dressing.
Orange honeydew, dried olives and corn from the farmer's market

1 comment:

  1. Yum! i just started eating Purslane, i have it coming up everywhere in the garden. i was surprised to find out how nutritious it is...for years i've just pulled it. i've found a couple good recipes using it, and am always looking for more. Everything looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete